I have been creating digital experiences and strategies since 1996. Combine that with a passion for creating deliverables that meet business needs, delight users, and strengthen market position. My unique blend of professional experience in the non-profit, private business, and government sector will enhance any digital team.
Senior Product Designer
Annexus Health, Pittsburgh, PA (08/2022 – 07/2023)
- Led UX operations with the creation of workflows, processes, document templates, and product idea intake.
- Took on lead researcher role; updated methodologies, templates, maintenance cadence, and artifact storage; guided and mentored junior product designer on research projects, including persona interviews and creation.
Senior UX Designer
SoftWriters, Pittsburgh, PA (02/2021 – 07/2022)
- Established the company’s inaugural UX practice with design processes and tools for agile product teams.
- Created an Atomic Design-based system, documenting UI patterns and interaction standards for developers to use across products, from cutting-edge web technologies to legacy desktop applications.
- Worked alongside product managers to create a 3-year vision for product and service offerings, creating a narrative and visuals to tell the story of our company’s renewed focus on enhancing our product ecosystem.
UX/Digital Content Specialist
Black Box, Lawrence, PA (09/2017 – 10/2020)
- Four behavior-based personas created and in use; interviewed and surveyed product managers, sales, and tech support to get the customer’s pulse; then validated via customer interviews, surveys, and focus groups.
- Updated wireframes for ecommerce journeys; including product routers, landing pages, and item detail pages; all re-worked to tell stories based on page goals, updated personas, and UX & SEO best practices.
- Developed new product-centric homepage template, interviewed organization leadership for company voice, market position, and value proposition; created new options for marketing, sales, and product managers.
- Proposed and helped create website update process and calendar, focusing on homepage and landing page updates; synchronized with product launches, buying seasons, and trade show campaigns.
Confluence, Pittsburgh, PA (07/2015 – 6/2017)
- Designed screens, workflows, and interfaces for financial reporting software through research; validated personas to better understand customers; guided UX from inception to delivery in an agile environment.
- Lead stakeholder and customer interviews, analyzing results; presenting findings to key decision makers.
- Ran usability studies on legacy software platform. Targeted specific goals, drafted script, and met remotely with actual customers; analyzed results & identified best fixes for maximum usability impact.
- Mentored UX intern; provided regular design feedback, task assignment, Axure training, and career advice.
TowerMetriX, Wexford, PA (08/2014 – 4/2015)
- Analyzed legacy system with no documentation for integration with current platform. Turned existing requirements listing into clickable prototypes, customer overviews, & detailed technical specifications.
- Initiated content audit of error messages & instructional text to unify the company/product voice & tone.
Thermo Fisher Scientific, eBusiness User Experience Team, Pittsburgh, PA (11/2011 – 8/2014)
- Key player of major eCommerce re-platforming project; managed wireframe build efforts and was technical lead for wireframing software; led to a fully annotated working prototype in less than two months.
- Created six modules of training material for Axure wireframing tool; led workshops to train all IA and BA team members; including lessons learned and best practices gathered from re-platforming projects
- Spearheaded creation of component requirements document, outlined all key reusable content formats; eliminated re-work & duplicate effort; delivered pilot/concept site prototype to senior management on time
- Led usability testing sessions, validating eCommerce website changes for high visibility quarterly project
National Energy Technology Laboratory, South Park, PA (2/2011 – 10/2011)
- Turned customer ideas into complex technical requirements for numerous medium/small-scale web apps; providing unexpected benefits of data integrity, universal access, tiered permission, and ease of use
- Spearheaded initiative to collect detailed web analytics data and conduct usability testing; created new gold standard for Requirements Traceability Matrix (RTM) in less than two months of starting
- Brought new level of discipline and organization to dashboard project, directly supporting the director’s office; created detailed RTMs and basic wireframes for high-visibility projects
Consultant, Blogger, Podcaster
Freelance, Cranberry Township, PA (7/2011 – 10/2021)
- Produced over 315 articles focusing on user experience, usability testing, content strategy, social media, personas, SEO, content marketing, and managing digital projects and teams.
- Coached international non-profit groups to create industry-standard digital platforms; encouraged consistent branding, more effective donation platforms, use of social media, and a regular content production schedule.
Web Applications Project Manager
Affiliated Computer Services, Pittsburgh, PA (7/2007 – 2/2009)
- Managed multiple web projects for Fortune 500 company’s fast-paced User Experience team; enabled on-time delivery of demos; guided rapid web application prototyping for improved usability & visual treatments
- Developed & tracked $3.7M capital expenditure budget; projected team involvement, resources, and scope
- Presented detailed weekly status reports directly to external and internal clients, reported monthly budget status to upper management, conducted post-mortem meetings, & led weekly team progress meetings
Assistant Professor of Aerospace Studies / Recruiting Officer
AFROTC Det 490, Newark, NJ (5/2005 – 7/2007)
- Instructed senior-level class according to university & Air Force policy; 90+% student satisfaction rating
- Primary recruiting officer; managed a $5K budget, oversaw website compliance, designed local brochures and promotional items, and extended campus presence; resulted in a 25% increase in recruiting & retention
552nd Computer Systems Squadron, Tinker AFB, OK (7/2002 – 5/2005)
- Orchestrated CMMI Level 3 software projects from conception to implementation; directed all activities according to Air Force and DoD standards, providing ground support for critical air weapon systems.
- Team chief for 10+ enlisted Airmen and civilian employees; conducted performance reviews and worked with senior enlisted troops to manage daily activities.
- Served as sole communications liaison officer for all coalition troops at an overseas location. Multi-national network project manager; 2,500+ coalition partners shared classified information easily & securely.
Air Force Communications Agency, Scott AF, IL (7/2000 – 7/2002)
- Member of traveling multi-faceted team providing efficiency & security solutions for Air Force networks; made detailed technical and policy recommendations and provided training on changes and upgrades.
- Team Leader of Network Management group; organized hands-on training sessions, and best practices documentation for 11 contractors and military personnel; new team members trained in record time.
Education and Training
- Master of Science in Professional and Technical Communications (in progress)
New Jersey Institute of Technology, Newark, NJ
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, minor in Aerospace Studies
Wilkes University, Wilkes-Barre, PA
- Lean Six Sigma Yellow Belt, Certification #39634971, GoLeanSixSigma.com
- Morrissey, Stephen. The Rookie Year: Church Web Strategies Blog Vol. 1. Pittsburgh, PA: CreateSpace, 2012
View on Amazon
Technical Background / Computer Skills
- Axure RP
- Microsoft Project
- Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, & Teams)
- Microsoft SharePoint
- Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop & Illustrator)